A few tech tools that help the children transition and finish their work, keep the noise level low for learning and incorporate consistency in the classroom makes such a positive difference.
1) Too Noisy is a sound meter app that visually shows children how Noisy feels about the noise level in the class. The sensitivity can be adjusted for specific conditions . The paid version offers many more fun features but the light version works well for us!
2) The free timer using the clock feature on the iPads! Visual and easy to see and read .
Both of these could be used easily at home for a variety of situations.
3) A low Tech Coconut... for those quieter moments when a gentle sound to remind them of a transition is helpful.
4) And finally, I also add a fun 'class call ' to gain attention before giving a direction which helps with understanding and success! It is a the call /echo signal . I start by saying "class, class .. " I say silly or say 4 times etc. and the kids respond 'yes, yes .. in a similar tone, rate as I called. When they have all responded I give a direction that they must wait other out and NOT move until I say
"GO" and clap twice. It works and we have easy transitions with smiles.. especially if I was silly which I am prone to be.
Low Tech Coconut Harp & a
1) Too Noisy Lite
2) Free Timer projected onto LCD TV.