Using a variety of resources the children go though steps to help them gather facts needed to write their first formal research paper. This first research paper of the year was very structured and broken down into small steps and guided by the teacher. Step one was the KWL chart which was shred onto a large class G.O.
Next, I guided them through the first of several print materials they would be using for this project. This first resource was a mutli- page magazine type article.
1st, We carefully went over several articles and highlighted various text features ( titles, sub titles, photo captions, bold words etc)
2) We read the text aloud and then again silently to ourselves.
3) We then used Edmodo and watched a video to learn more about Caribou & talked about the different types of resources availble to a researcher.
4) The children replied to a few questions after watching the video.
5) The children made their individual research folders to keep their articles, GO charts, notes etc. organized. Once this was complete they began re reading their resources and completing their personal GO chart.
6) As they complete their GO Chart and get them signed off, they can start working in the Book Creator app creating their research report. Whew! they are working hard.